Thursday, February 28, 2008

5 reasons and my favorite things

I'm not really into doing this sort of thing, but I'm doing this for 3 reasons:

1. Matt has been telling me to blog forever.
C. I'm really bored and I need something to do until I get a job. Also, I feel that now that I have a reason to make my life interesting, I will actually attempt to do fun and interesting things, rather than slack off.
Y. A lot of family and friends live far away and it is a good way for them to see what I'm up to these days.
8. I used to keep a journal. Well, I have since fifth grade. Three years ago, I mysteriously stopped. So, I'm making this my online journal/photo album/scrapbook. Many years from now, I will have this and I'll use it to look back on my life, rather than trying to read my messy handwriting in journals.
N. Since I'm not interesting enough to do an entire blog devoted to design, I can supplement my life with any interesting observations on the design world and give updates on any projects I may be working on.

Now, for my favorite things. Most of you have never seen where I live. The next pictures were all taken today in my apartment. Matt and I are into the whole DIY thing and our apartment shows that. Of course this is only temporary; I would like my future accommodations to reflect a Danish modern flair combined with the familiarity of the Midwest, ala designer Amy Butler's home in Ohio.


This is an old reel to reel tape recorder that Matt and his dad converted into a book/DVD shelf. Hopefully someday we will be able to wall mount it. The driftwood is from Hawaii.


This is an old danish modern bureau we found on craigslist for 50 bucks. It matches Matt's L-shaped desk, one of our end tables, and an old record stand, which were all also steals on craigslist.

Ahh. My gnomes. Anyone that knows me that I collect garden gnome things. These were given to me by my old roommate Nikki M. who found them at a garage sale. Eugene, the one in the front is a little banged up. His legs hang over the side and he's taken a few falls. He's also very well traveled. He accompanied me on a road trip to Orlando and was a little weathered after Cocoa Beach.


This is my bed with some framed prints of photos I took in West Chester and Philly.


This is my table I designed for Furniture class near the doorway in our living room. The legs pivot out and a leaf can slide into the groove on the side. We keep our keys and loose change in the dishes. I love the gnome mat from Dale and Matt!


This is a collage Matt and I made from our Hawaii pictures and trinkets. Matt painted a piece of driftwood to look like the Haliewa sign and glued a piece of coral to it. I found the shell at Sunset Beach, and as you can tell I was very excited to be in the Pacific Ocean for the first time.


This is a coat rack I made out of old wood hangers. I mounted them to a piece of scrap wood I found in the shop and spray painted it black. Thank you ReadyMade Mag!


This is another table I made. I love it. I had to move one of the leg flanges because the cantilever on the left started drooping.

No comments: